A few weeks back at E3, the folks at Netherrealm Studios announced an all new, no Mortal Kombat characters this time, DC comics fighting game, Injustice: Gods Among Us. The demo featured Batman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn and Solomon Grundy.
I’m sure it’s safe to assume all the other DC characters from the DC Universe Vs Mortal Kombat game, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Deathstroke, Joker, Lex Luthor, Catwoman, and current Justice League members, Cyborg and Aquaman, will be among the twenty or so playable characters the game will feature. That gives us a grand total of 14 cats to play with. Who else would I like to see…or should I say, who else can I get my ass handed to me with?
10) Jonah Hex: In the pre-Crisis, pre-52 DC universe, Jonah met Batman (and I think Superman) and he eventually he was flung into the future to be a outer space bounty hunter or some shit like that. In the new 52, Jonah appears to have set-up shop in late nineteenth century Gotham and even crossed over into Batman’s recent Court of the Owls business. Jonah (movie none withstanding) has always been a badass, and I have no problem having an out of time cowboy fight DC’s legendary heroes and villains!?
Couple of six-gun attacks, a knife or tomahawk attack and heck, throw a whip and/or lasso move in there and Jonah is good to go.
9) Lobo: To the best of my knowledge Lobo hasn’t made a new 52 appearance (BTW if DC really wanted to go out on a limb on the established DC character that hasn’t appeared yet will be gay idea, they would have Lobo come out instead of Alan Scott…just sayen’) but in the old DCU, Lobo did his fair share of arse-kicking, even going toe-to-toe with the big blue boy scout, Superman on a couple of occasions.
Lobo could have some really cool moves. Hooking opponents with his chain, some kind of BFGun or ramming them with his chopper come to mind.
8) Zatanna: What’s a fighting game without a hot chick in fishnet stockings!? A piss-poor one!
She could have all sorts of magic “Whammy” attacks and hearing her say the spells backwards would be cool.
7) Hawkman: A super-strong guy with tons of good medieval weapons and wings. Need I say more? How has Hawkman not been in a DC fighting game already? The guy screams fighting game. He also screams, “I’m one of the most misused and abused characters this side of Aquaman!” but I digress.
Good old Hawkman could beat people about the head, neck, chest and shoulders with his mace, or slice ‘em up with an nth-metal sword.
6) Black Adam: Before Flashpoint ruined the history of the DC universe, Black Adam was one of it’s best bad guys. Like Deathstroke, he’s not even a “bad guy” all the time. He’s just a badass who doesn’t take shit off of anybody, even Superman. (BTW, if you’ve never seen Adam and Supes duke it out, pick up Action Comics #831. I’ll wait here until you get back).
Adam’s attacks could mirror Captain Marvel’s, but with a slight edge of pure hatefullness to ‘em.
5) Nightwing: You played Arkham City. You played the Nightwing DLC and it was great. With his twin escrima sticks, most of Batman’s toys and acrobatic moves Nightwing would be a ton of fun in a fighting game.
4) O.M.A.C: The bull in the China Shop of DC Super-heroes. Every fighting game has, no needs, a character like this. No finesse, just charge in head-first and start punching. Plus the new 52 O.M.A.C. is a really cool looking character, who could have some very sweet looking combos.
3) Green Arrow: Not a Justice Leaguer in the new 52 and maybe he looks a little too much like the Green Arrow from the Smallville TV show, but Oliver Queen is still a mainstay in the DCU. He was also my favorite character to use in the old SNES Justice League fighting game. GA could have a variety of moves very similar to what Hawkeye has in Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom, PLUS the world famous boxing glove arrow. Actually, the boxing glove arrow is non-negotiable.
2) Talon from the Court of Owls: If you haven’t read Court of Owls stuff that’s been running through Batman since issue #1, you’ve been missing out. SPOILER ALERT! With Lincoln March revealing himself as the final and maybe most powerful Talon (although I prefer the first Talon we say, and from the looks of it, the most deadly, William Cobb…he kicked the supreme sh*t out of Bats), he’s instantly become a Batman villain for the ages. This guy was built for a fighting game. Featuring and acrobatic/martial arts, fighting style, much like Nightwing, and matching Batman for size and strength. Of course, as a Talon, he has throwing knives, a sword and all sorts of surprises up his sleeve. Get this guy in the game!
1) Booster Gold: And finally, my number one choice on this motley list, my favorite DC character, Booster Gold! Booster has quietly become one of the DCU’s main characters. When Batman, Supes, and Wonder Woman, took a year off after Infinite Crisis, it was Booster Gold that lead the way for a new age of Dc heroes. His own solo series as the protector of the time stream as great and really showed what Booster is capable of. Now in the new 52, under Batman’s tutelage, Booster is the leader of Justice League International.
With his power suit and flight ring, Booster would feature, super strength, flight, a force field and force blasts, not to mention a wicked self-deprecating sense of humor. The only thing missing from the new 52 version is Skeets, who could have been used as an attack himself.
I know…I know…I didn’t include some heavy hitters in like Darkseid or Mongul on here, but dudes like that I think of as “bosses” to fight at the end of a single player game.
Whew…I can think of a few more that I would like to have on that list, but I doubt there’s gonna be much more room then that for characters. Now Marvel, time to drop the “Vs Capcom” from the title and make a straight up Marvel fighting game, my gaming life would be just about perfect.